History of Kaipātiki. Kaipātiki provides access to Te Awa Kahawai, the Parakai geothermal field, and is located in the small township of Parakai in the South Kaipara region. Kaipātiki: kai means food and pātiki means flounder. Kaipātiki is the original name of the land block that includes the 18.41ha reserve. The name highlights the importance of this place as an area of abundant food. Mana whenua have a long connection with the geothermal springs located on the reserve – they were known far and wide for their natural healing qualities. Following the arrival of Europeans, the site was declared a recreation reserve in 1883 and in the early 1900s bath houses and boarding houses were established. The Crown formally vested the reserve jointly to Ngāti Whātua o Kaipara and Auckland Council in 2013 as part of a Treaty of Waitangi claim settlement.